Re: FC3 on Toshiba Satellite A15-S129 Laptop?

Scot L. Harris wrote:

On Sun, 2005-02-06 at 00:35, Rick Bilonick wrote:

The D-Link DWL-650 that I have is a Prism II card. It uses the orinoco and orinoco_cs drivers. I could also use the wlan-ng or the hostap drivers as far as I know but I've not tried them. (These drivers support scanning.)

What concerns me is that the pcmcia slot did not appear to function at all. I tried putting in a modem card and the wireless card and there was no beep to indicate that a card had been inserted into the pcmcia slot. I'm concerned that the pcmcia slot may not be supprted as it is in RH9.

To get your DWL-G650 to work in FC2, did you have to install manually any drivers or is it all included in FC2?

Rick B.

I believe if your card uses the orinoco drivers then you should be set. I think those have been well supported for some time.

I had to manually install the prism54 drivers at that time.  I think
they are included in FC3 now although you may still have to install the
firmware for the card.  Note: not all versions of the DWL-G650 uses that
chip set.

After you put in the card use the lspci command to see if the system
sees the card. Honestly I don't think my system beeps when I remove or
insert the card.

Also check your log files, I think there should be some entries there
when you do insert the card.

When you say firmware for the card, do you mean you have to install code into the card? (I've heard of updating firmware in certain types of hardware.) I was thinking of buying a DWL G650 to increase the connection speed.

Rick B.