Re: Has anyone dumped udev for devfs?

----- Original Message ----- From: "Kevin Fries" <kevin@xxxxxxxxx>
To: "For users of Fedora Core releases" <fedora-list@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Friday, February 04, 2005 11:02 PM
Subject: Re: Has anyone dumped udev for devfs?

This morning I had to re-install Windows because udev failed to build
the /dev link for a USB based scanner.  This has set my transition to
a Linux network back 2 years.  And I get accused of whinnying.

I think the "whining" thing was off-base, but I think you very well could have gotten your scanner to work with a little more work.

I want whatever was working before it uninstalled and upgraded with
udev.  I was under the impression that it was devfs, but I am
wondering if it was static dev.  Whatever it is, udev failed not on
something complex that can be explained away, but on a basic USB
scanner.  Using Beta (closer to alpha if you ask me) software in a
stable distribution is setting the Linux movement back, not forward.

I will echo what earlier posters have said - Fedora should not be considered a "stable" distribution. It is really a public testbed for features which may someday show up in Red Hat's "stable" distro - Red Hat Enterprise Linux. I really recommend you stick around and spend more time with Fedora. It's not always going to be a smooth ride, but it's a lot of fun and you have the opportunity to help make a better distro by reporting bugs like your scanner issue.

Cheers,
Thomas