Re: Has anyone dumped udev for devfs?

David L Norris wrote:

|On Thu, 2005-02-03 at 20:24 -0700, Kevin Fries wrote:
|
|>I am trying to get a Microtek X12 USL scanner attached, and udev fails
|>to mount it, every time.  Has anyone tried uninstalling udev and
|>reinstalling devfs to stop all these damn usb failures?
|>
|>If so, any hints on how not to make your system unstable?
|

|File a bug report that clearly describes the problem?
|
|I'm not sure what USB has to do with a SCSI scanner...  But, I have many

the X12 is both USB and SCSI-2

|USB devices all connected at once that work perfectly fine: Hard disk,
|HP tape drive, 6-in-1 card reader, Imation Superdisk (Macintosh
|software-eject version), CD-RW, usb-to-parallel printer converter,
|Kensington USB mouse, and a USB-PS/2 keyboard/mouse adapter.

Definitely not my experience or that of several others.  I have had
intermittent issues with keyboard and mice, but usually only during
the boot process.  However, USB flash sticks have had more bugs filed
against them than there are stars in the sky.  My experience with
flash sticks are that only about 1/3 to 1/2 of the sticks work with
some manufacturers (My Lexar is perfect, but some no-names rarely
work) better than others.  The problem 100% of the time is with that
damn udev system, it just is not fully cooked.  While user space
mounting of devices are definitely the way to go, udev is not ready.
It should be reserved to 2.7 and a working system put in place.

There was a thread in here just a few days ago with someone asking
about FC4 because they did not want to upgrade from FC1.  While they
did not mention udev by name, it is this exact piece of garbage that
was causing the problem they were not upgrading for.  So, your
experiences are definitely not the only one, there are others of us
out here that are getting killed by this stupidity.

|In the past I've had to hotplug USB devices after boot but that doesn't
|seem to be a problem any longer.  The only other hardware related
|problems I've noticed are that when HAL is upgraded it doesn't start the
|new version of haldaemon.

Seen that too, but the new system is just not recognizing as much
stuff as the previous system.  Definitely a huge step backwards in
stability and compatibility.  Even the maintainers of the project
admit it isn't quite ready, but pushed it into production with the
hopes that by turning up the heat, the bugs will get worked out (their
words not mine).  Now I get the whole bleeding edge thing, but this is
an "in development" thing, and therefore not appropriate to be put in
a stable branch of a distro until it is much, much more stable.

Now back to my original question, has anyone else chucked this thing
in the trash where it belongs and gone back to devfs, and what
problems or issues need to be watched out for.

Kevin Fries