Re: Has anyone dumped udev for devfs?

On Fri, 4 Feb 2005 22:57:22 -0500
Matthew Miller <mattdm@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Fri, Feb 04, 2005 at 01:20:45AM -0700, Kevin Fries wrote:
> > Now back to my original question, has anyone else chucked this thing
> > in the trash where it belongs and gone back to devfs, and what
> > problems or issues need to be watched out for.
>
> I'm not sure what you mean exactly by "back to devfs", because Fedora
> Core and before that Red Hat Linux never used devfs, and to my
> knowledge, devfs never was working perfectly (and was always marked as
> "experimental").
>
> udev/hotplug may have some growing pains. However, by switching to
> devfs, you'd be moving away from something that's at under very active
> development to obsolete, unmaintained code due to be completely
> removed from the kernel. That's the main thing I'd suggest watching
> out for. :)

I think Mandrake used devfs for awhile, but all the recent Linux distros
that I know of have dumped it. A pity - I actually liked it. devfs is
currently used in FreeBSD. I'm not sure if the FBSD developers worked
all the bugs out, but it seems to be stable. However, I wouldn't
recommend switching to FBSD just for devfs (FBSD has a lot of other
issues).

cheers,
Robert