Re: Solution Coming Re: Fedora Community: Under threat?

On Sat, Feb 05, 2005 at 02:00:37AM -1000, Warren Togami wrote:
> Key to the problem is that mailing lists are far from the best medium
> for end-user support.  We need to steer end-users to an entirely
> different medium in order to scale effectively.  Official project change
> in that direction is happening soon.  Read the link above for details.

I strenuously disagree with your point #1:

  1) This would shift ONLY end-user lists, not development lists. Those same
  engineers are likely to ignore the end-user support lists anyway. Nothing
  is lost.

Actually, some of us like to help out on the end-user side of things *and*
hate most web forums.

Please at the very, very least, don't do something like the widespread
non-threading horrible interface "BB" style forums. Ideally, it'd be
something like this: <http://news.lugnet.com/>.

Additionally, like Lugnet, it'd be nice if the forums had an NNTP backend.
The "how to do a discussion group" problem is already solved, and most web
forums just reinvent that wheel horribly badly.

I think a web forum could be very helpful to many newer-to-the-net users,
but there's no reason not to eat our cake *and* have it too.

--
Matthew Miller            mattdm@xxxxxxxxxx        <http://www.mattdm.org/>
-->  Fedora Users & Developers Conference, hosted by Boston University  <--