Re: cyrus-imapd - sieveusehomedir: 1

On Tue, 2005-02-01 at 09:03 -0700, Craig White wrote:
> On Tue, 2005-02-01 at 09:35 -0600, Aleksandar Milivojevic wrote:
> > Craig White wrote:
> > > put the following line in /etc/imapd.conf
> > > #sieveusehomedir: 1
> > >
> > > and restarted cyrus-imapd and this didn't go over very well
> > >
> > > Feb  1 00:16:08 linuxserver sieve[17242]: can't use home directorieses
> > > Feb  1 00:16:37 linuxserver master[17145]: process 17253 exited, status
> > > 75
> > > Feb  1 00:16:37 linuxserver master[17145]: service sieve pid 17253 in
> > > BUSY state: terminated abnormally
> > >
> > > OK - I'll byte - what's the trick?  I'm finding that using sieve inside
> > > the mystery that is cyrus is clumsy and was thinking that if I could
> > > park the sieve files in home directories, things might be more
> > > manageable.
> > >
> > > I was thinking that this might be a clue...
> > > Feb  1 00:14:06 linuxserver lmtpunix[17213]: IOERROR: not a sieve
> > > bytecode file /home/craig/.sieve
> > >
> > > but this came before the other
> > >
> > > Any clues?
> >
> > Maybe premissions?  Remember, cyrus is not running as root, and unlike
> > some other IMAP implementations, doesn't need to run as root.  If you
> > store anything in user's home directory, that file must be accessible by
> > cyrus user.  For the second problem, I guess you'd need to byte-compile
> > your sieve script prior to placing it into .sieve.  Dunno how to do that.
> ----
> I was thinking that cyrus changed to user to do this work - ala
> procmail. Just in case, my home directory was set to 777 and the perms
> on /home/craig/.sieve were 644 - perhaps that needed to have write or
> execute permission to all users. Wouldn't seem to need that though.
>
> The bytecode file clue means that apparently sieve does some juju on the
> script before it drops it to it's resting point making the home
> directory repository slightly less appealing as it was easy for me to
> modify users procmail recipes by munging the file in their home
> directory and sieve is going to require a new level of automation. I do
> see files...
> # ls -l /var/lib/imap/sieve/c/craig
> total 24
> lrwxrwxrwx    1 cyrus    mail            8 Feb  1 08:49 defaultbc ->
> lists.bc
> -rw-------    1 cyrus    mail         5164 Feb  1 08:49 lists.bc
> -rw-------    1 cyrus    mail         3796 Jan 31 22:33 lists_pseudo.bc
> -rw-------    1 cyrus    mail         3572 Jan 31 22:33
> lists_pseudo.script
> -rw-------    1 cyrus    mail         4348 Feb  1 08:49 lists.script
>
> I wonder if I just adjust the 'lists.script' and restart cyrus-imapd or
> some other command to do the juju on lists.script for lists.bc
> (obviously the bytecode juju). I'll have to do this later as now I have
> to run.
> ----
> >
> > Anyhow, I've been using Sieve for some time now, no problems.  I'm not
> [...]

Craig,

In /usr/share/doc/cyrus-imapd-2.2.10/install-sieve.html there is a
mention that sieveusehomedir is incompatible with timsieved.  Other
references in that directory mention running sieve to possibly compile
the script into byte code.  I think something other than timsieved would
have to run to process the script.  Possibly from deliver.

Otherwise I see the same errors as you.  I'll look more into it when I
get some free time.

Bob...