Re: cyrus-imapd - sieveusehomedir: 1

Craig White wrote:
put the following line in /etc/imapd.conf
#sieveusehomedir: 1

and restarted cyrus-imapd and this didn't go over very well

Feb  1 00:16:08 linuxserver sieve[17242]: can't use home directorieses
Feb  1 00:16:37 linuxserver master[17145]: process 17253 exited, status
75
Feb  1 00:16:37 linuxserver master[17145]: service sieve pid 17253 in
BUSY state: terminated abnormally

OK - I'll byte - what's the trick?  I'm finding that using sieve inside
the mystery that is cyrus is clumsy and was thinking that if I could
park the sieve files in home directories, things might be more
manageable.

I was thinking that this might be a clue...
Feb  1 00:14:06 linuxserver lmtpunix[17213]: IOERROR: not a sieve
bytecode file /home/craig/.sieve

but this came before the other

Any clues?

Maybe premissions? Remember, cyrus is not running as root, and unlike some other IMAP implementations, doesn't need to run as root. If you store anything in user's home directory, that file must be accessible by cyrus user. For the second problem, I guess you'd need to byte-compile your sieve script prior to placing it into .sieve. Dunno how to do that.

Anyhow, I've been using Sieve for some time now, no problems. I'm not using anything in user's home directories (I've let Cyrus keep sieve scripts in his store, and installed smartsieve for script management), and had no problems with it so far. The only place where I allow Cyrus to interact with local accounts is password checking (where applicable, if there are local user accounts). This would make moving Cyrus IMAPD to dedicated (accountless) machine very simple.

Hm, thinking of it, theoretically, I could even start running Sendmail as non-priviledged user (it doesn't need root priviledge to deliver mail anymore, I'd just need to sort out file permissions and ownership things on queue and db dirs/files).

--
Aleksandar Milivojevic <amilivojevic@xxxxxx>    Pollard Banknote Limited