Re: cyrus-imapd - sieveusehomedir: 1

On Tue, 2005-02-01 at 09:35 -0600, Aleksandar Milivojevic wrote:
> Craig White wrote:
> > put the following line in /etc/imapd.conf
> > #sieveusehomedir: 1
> >
> > and restarted cyrus-imapd and this didn't go over very well
> >
> > Feb  1 00:16:08 linuxserver sieve[17242]: can't use home directorieses
> > Feb  1 00:16:37 linuxserver master[17145]: process 17253 exited, status
> > 75
> > Feb  1 00:16:37 linuxserver master[17145]: service sieve pid 17253 in
> > BUSY state: terminated abnormally
> >
> > OK - I'll byte - what's the trick?  I'm finding that using sieve inside
> > the mystery that is cyrus is clumsy and was thinking that if I could
> > park the sieve files in home directories, things might be more
> > manageable.
> >
> > I was thinking that this might be a clue...
> > Feb  1 00:14:06 linuxserver lmtpunix[17213]: IOERROR: not a sieve
> > bytecode file /home/craig/.sieve
> >
> > but this came before the other
> >
> > Any clues?
>
> Maybe premissions?  Remember, cyrus is not running as root, and unlike
> some other IMAP implementations, doesn't need to run as root.  If you
> store anything in user's home directory, that file must be accessible by
> cyrus user.  For the second problem, I guess you'd need to byte-compile
> your sieve script prior to placing it into .sieve.  Dunno how to do that.
----
I was thinking that cyrus changed to user to do this work - ala
procmail. Just in case, my home directory was set to 777 and the perms
on /home/craig/.sieve were 644 - perhaps that needed to have write or
execute permission to all users. Wouldn't seem to need that though.

The bytecode file clue means that apparently sieve does some juju on the
script before it drops it to it's resting point making the home
directory repository slightly less appealing as it was easy for me to
modify users procmail recipes by munging the file in their home
directory and sieve is going to require a new level of automation. I do
see files...
# ls -l /var/lib/imap/sieve/c/craig
total 24
lrwxrwxrwx    1 cyrus    mail            8 Feb  1 08:49 defaultbc ->
lists.bc
-rw-------    1 cyrus    mail         5164 Feb  1 08:49 lists.bc
-rw-------    1 cyrus    mail         3796 Jan 31 22:33 lists_pseudo.bc
-rw-------    1 cyrus    mail         3572 Jan 31 22:33
lists_pseudo.script
-rw-------    1 cyrus    mail         4348 Feb  1 08:49 lists.script

I wonder if I just adjust the 'lists.script' and restart cyrus-imapd or
some other command to do the juju on lists.script for lists.bc
(obviously the bytecode juju). I'll have to do this later as now I have
to run.
----

> Anyhow, I've been using Sieve for some time now, no problems.  I'm not
> using anything in user's home directories (I've let Cyrus keep sieve
> scripts in his store, and installed smartsieve for script management),
> and had no problems with it so far.  The only place where I allow Cyrus
> to interact with local accounts is password checking (where applicable,
> if there are local user accounts).  This would make moving Cyrus IMAPD
> to dedicated (accountless) machine very simple.
----
I did download the smartsieve php stuff and played around with it and
managed to disable my script completely. Figured that I would understand
exactly what was happening with the sieve stuff first. lists_pseudo
above came from either smartsieve or the other web tool stuff I was
playing with (websieve.pl - a perl/cgi implementation).
----
> Hm, thinking of it, theoretically, I could even start running Sendmail
> as non-priviledged user (it doesn't need root priviledge to deliver mail
> anymore, I'd just need to sort out file permissions and ownership things
> on queue and db dirs/files).
----
I'll leave this as an exercise for you to do at this point - my plate is
full at the moment ;-)

Thanks

Craig