Re: [installation +updates of packages]pb with YUM

Le dimanche 30 Janvier 2005 15:09, Paul Howarth a écrit :
> On Sat, 2005-01-29 at 17:04 +0100, Daniel Moyne wrote:
> > I may have an explanation for the error message ; in "/boot/grub" I do
> > not have a file called "menu.lst" not installed for unknown reasons ; the
> > problem is that with my present knowledge of the FC3 system I do not know
> > how to edit GRUB files from nothing ; can you send me the files supposed
> > to be contained in "/boot/grub" directory for me to tailor them to my
> > present setup ; there may be :
> > - "menu.lst",
> > - "messages",
> > - "fr-latin1.klt",
> > at least.
>
> These might appear once you have actually installed grub.
>
> A suitable /boot/grub/grub.conf for your FC3 install might be:
>
> # grub.conf generated by anaconda
> #
> # Note that you do not have to rerun grub after making changes to this
> file
> # NOTICE:  You do not have a /boot partition.  This means that
> #          all kernel and initrd paths are relative to /, eg.
> #          root (hd1,0)
> #          kernel /boot/vmlinuz-version ro root=/dev/hdb1
> #          initrd /boot/initrd-version.img
> #boot=/dev/hdb1
> default=0
> timeout=10
> splashimage=(hd1,0)/boot/grub/splash.xpm.gz
> title Fedora Core (2.6.9-1.667)
>         root (hd1,0)
>         kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.9-1.667 ro root=LABEL=/
>         initrd /boot/initrd-2.6.9-1.667.img
>
> You might want to make sure that the following symlinks are in place
> after installing grub, as they would be if anaconda had installed it:
>
> /etc/grub.conf -> ../boot/grub/grub.conf
>
> In /boot/grub:
> menu.lst -> ./grub.conf
>
> > Now from what I know about LILO and GRUB is it possible to install LILO
> > on FC3 as :
> > - it can be configured from KDE control center,
> > - from a "menu.lst" example that I have in front of me there are lines
> > like (hd0,n) where n indicates the partition number ! ; why not hda1,
> > hdb2...etc... ; could not believe it !
>
> Grub is not specifically a Linux tool, it is suitable for booting a
> variety of operating systems, not all of which use the same partition
> naming conventions as Linux. So grub has its own naming convention for
> partition, which is explained in the grub documentation (see
> http://www.gnu.org/software/grub/ for more details).

Paul,
thanks to yout info on GRUB configuration I aws able to boot fromm LILO on to
GRUB ans select any of 2 separate kernels ; I stll have to set resolution and
vga=791 as in LILO dos nor work maybe I need hexadecimal value ?
That will be all for today !
Regards

--
kernel 2.4                            / --- \