Re: [installation +updates of packages]pb with YUM

On Sat, 2005-01-29 at 17:04 +0100, Daniel Moyne wrote:
> I may have an explanation for the error message ; in "/boot/grub" I do not
> have a file called "menu.lst" not installed for unknown reasons ; the problem
> is that with my present knowledge of the FC3 system I do not know how to edit
> GRUB files from nothing ; can you send me the files supposed to be contained
> in "/boot/grub" directory for me to tailor them to my present setup ; there
> may be :
> - "menu.lst",
> - "messages",
> - "fr-latin1.klt",
> at least.

These might appear once you have actually installed grub.

A suitable /boot/grub/grub.conf for your FC3 install might be:

# grub.conf generated by anaconda
#
# Note that you do not have to rerun grub after making changes to this
file
# NOTICE:  You do not have a /boot partition.  This means that
#          all kernel and initrd paths are relative to /, eg.
#          root (hd1,0)
#          kernel /boot/vmlinuz-version ro root=/dev/hdb1
#          initrd /boot/initrd-version.img
#boot=/dev/hdb1
default=0
timeout=10
splashimage=(hd1,0)/boot/grub/splash.xpm.gz
title Fedora Core (2.6.9-1.667)
        root (hd1,0)
        kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.9-1.667 ro root=LABEL=/
        initrd /boot/initrd-2.6.9-1.667.img

You might want to make sure that the following symlinks are in place
after installing grub, as they would be if anaconda had installed it:

/etc/grub.conf -> ../boot/grub/grub.conf

In /boot/grub:
menu.lst -> ./grub.conf

> Now from what I know about LILO and GRUB is it possible to install LILO on FC3
> as :
> - it can be configured from KDE control center,
> - from a "menu.lst" example that I have in front of me there are lines like
> (hd0,n) where n indicates the partition number ! ; why not hda1,
> hdb2...etc... ; could not believe it !

Grub is not specifically a Linux tool, it is suitable for booting a
variety of operating systems, not all of which use the same partition
naming conventions as Linux. So grub has its own naming convention for
partition, which is explained in the grub documentation (see
http://www.gnu.org/software/grub/ for more details).

Paul.
--
Paul Howarth <paul@xxxxxxxxxxxx>