Re: confused about firstboot

On Sun, 2005-01-30 at 07:41 -0500, Robert P. J. Day wrote:

>   what is responsible for the initial invocation of "firstboot"?
> based on my reading of the script /etc/rc.d/init.d/firstboot, since
> it's obviously a chkconfig-based script, i have to assume that, upon
> installation, there are symlinks to this script in place that cause
> firstboot to run, after which the symlinks are removed, is that
> correct?

    Nope; it needs to be so.  There's usually a difference between the
install images and the actual kernel that you'll live with every day.
That's one reason for having an initial reboot.  (Notice, of course,
that "The other leading brand" has to reboot 4-5 times for an install.)

    There are things that need configuration outside of Anaconda, when
the thing has booted from it's normal kernel, like X.  And, it makes it
convenient to stash application-specific things there for when you're
doing a modified installation, too. (Think: corporate rollouts).

    On the surface it might look like it's unnecessary, but it's all
part of the great plan.

    :)
Brian FahrlÃnder                 Christian, Conservative, and Technomad
Evansville, IN                                http://www.fahrlander.net
ICQ: 5119262                                          AIM: WheelDweller