Re: "Bad interpreter" shell messages

Paul F. Almquist wrote:

On Saturday 29 January 2005 22:28, Matthew Miller wrote:

On Sat, Jan 29, 2005 at 10:55:06PM -0500, Robert L Cochran wrote:

interpreter used for it.. Look at the first line of configit.sh - it
should start with #!/bin/sh

[...]

Yes it does start with #! /bin/sh. The output you requested:

Ahh. Does it start with "#!/bin/sh", or "#! /bin/sh" with a space, as you
wrote? Should be no space.

The space is acceptable, even several spaces works. It must be something else.

run the script thru the dos2unix(1) command to get rid of the <cr> at the end of the lines. If it is not that then perhaps some other non-printing character is on that line.

paul

Thanks Paul. I wrote the script in Fedora Core, so it isn't a line termination issue. I think it has to do with permissions, The whole problem went away when I moved the build directory from /mnt/any/home/rlc to ~/. (/mnt/any is a mount point for my second hard drive. That drive has an older Fedora Core system on it which I don't want to format away.) And yes I was able to configure and build Postgresql 8. I'll install and fire it up it later today,

Bob