Re: "Bad interpreter" shell messages

Peter Arremann wrote:

On Saturday 29 January 2005 22:32, Robert L Cochran wrote:

I'm trying to run a small shell script to supply options to the
configure script in postgresql 8.0, which was released a few days ago.
When I try to do this in Fedora Core 3, I get thiis mesage:

bash: ./configit.sh: /bin/sh: bad interpreter: Permission denied

I'm doing this from a second hard drive that I've mounted. The second
drive has an older release of Fedora Core on it:

[rlc@bobcp4 postgresql-8.0.0]$ pwd
/mnt/any/home/rlc/postgresql-8.0.0

Here is the directory listing for the script I want to execute:

-rwxrwxr-x   1 rlc rlc    155 Jan 29 22:22 configit.sh

What am I doing wrong -- why am I getting the "Permission denied" messages?

Thanks

Bob Cochran

The error you're getting is not about the script itsself but the interpreter used for it.. Look at the first line of configit.sh - it should start with #!/bin/sh what's the output of "ls -la /bin/sh" ?
Also do you have selinux enabled?

Peter.

Hi Peter,

Yes it does start with #! /bin/sh. The output you requested:

[rlc@bobcp4 ~]$ ls -la /bin/sh
lrwxrwxrwx  1 root root 4 Nov 11 09:35 /bin/sh -> bash

selinux is disabled on this system.

However, I just moved the postgresql-8.0.0 directory from /mnt/any/home/rlc to ~/ . What we are seeing is a bit confusing because the source directory is on a separate drive that has an older Fedora Core system and also had a user account on /home/rlc. Anyhow after moving the build directory, the script started working! Configure ran and gmake ran. I seem to be running into permissions problems of some sort.

Thanks for your help!

Bob