Re: Devices in FC4

Steven Pasternak wrote:
> I know that this is a bit early, but does anyone know if FC4 will be like FC3
> in the way it generates block devices?

To the best of my knowledge, yes.

> I use FC2 now and it always has
> a /dev/sda and /dev/sda1, even when my pen drive isn't plugged in and just
> says it is not valid. FC3, though, doesn't generate a /dev/sda and
> a /dev/sda1 UNTIL I plug it in,

Yes, this is designed behaviour. /dev was just getting too full of
devices that might be needed in some more or less bizarre set of
circumstances.

> and sometimes it doesn't even when I do (til
> I restart it). I HATE that!

Do you have all the kernel and hal updates applied? It's new
functionality, and there have been a number of bugfixes. If so, then
could you check the end of /var/log/messages when /dev/sda *does* appear
and when it *doesn't*. Post the results here along with chipset and pen
drive information, and we'll either see if we can spot something, or ask
you to bugzilla it (so there's a chance it gets fixed).

Or you can drop the device nodes in /etc/udev/devices. Then they should
be copied into /dev at startup.

James.

--
James Wilkinson       | actor: (n) a piece of scenery that has the audacity
Exeter    Devon    UK | to move once lit.