Re: Devices in FC4

On 01/29/2005 10:31:37 AM, James Wilkinson wrote:

> and sometimes it doesn't even when I do (til > I restart it). I HATE that!

Do you have all the kernel and hal updates applied? It's new
functionality, and there have been a number of bugfixes. If so, then
could you check the end of /var/log/messages when /dev/sda *does*
appear
and when it *doesn't*. Post the results here along with chipset and
pen
drive information, and we'll either see if we can spot something, or
ask
you to bugzilla it (so there's a chance it gets fixed).

I have the same thing happen with my iPod mini occasionally.
Usually it just works - sometimes I have to plug it in twice - occasionally I have to reboot.

I have on occasion noticed that when booting, there is an error related to my FireWire controller - and whenever I have seen that error, I can't use the iPod. Wether that is _always_ the case when I can't use it w/o rebooting or not - I don't know, but I think in _my case_ it is a IEEE 1394 driver bug that sometimes causes the bus to not work. It didn't start happening until I added a Belkin firewire card - but when it does happen, neither the Belkin or onboard FireWire work, when it works - both work.

But I suspect my issue is kernel driver and not udev related - I'm just mentioning it because that *may* be the case with the OP as well.