Re: newbie help.....again

 --- Charles Malespin <cmalespin@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi,
>   I downloaded
> knoppix and made a boot CD, but when I try to boot
> from it all it says is "missing OS".  I dont know
> what I did wrong to get that.  I thought that I
> could just run it off the CD without needing linux
> on my computer.  I have a 160Gb single hard drive
> C:/ that has been defragmented and it looks like
> most of the data is near the begining(with the
> exception of one strip of contiguous files about 1/3
> of the way from the begining).  I am really new with
> this stuff and I dont know much of anything about
> partitioning.  Plus this is a brand new(2 days)
> computer so I dont want to delete anything....  Any
> help would be appreciated.(please make it as
> "simple" as possible though!)
> Thanks in advance,
> Charles

I can't comment on your linux problems as I am new to
it myself. But onto other things.

Partitioning is easy, I did it on my first PC and I
didn't know much about software. You should use
dedicated partitioning software Partition Commander,
Partition Magic neither of which are free but
sometimes appear on the covers of PC magazines so take
a look at the ones in the shops and see, there is a
free one called Ran(n)ish or Raddish Partition Manager
(it mught have one or two  ns so search for it). They
are pretty easy to use and nothing happens until you
comfirm it, so no changes to your HDD, everything is
graphical so you can see what you are doing as you do
it.

Believe me if I could partition anyone can. I am not
exactly any good at the software side of things. I am
one of those that like the simple to use stuff.

As another respondant has said iso can not be burnt
with XPs own burning software. Roxio, Nero and Magic
ISO are some of the ones I can think of that burn disc
images properly and not as files. None are free though
I think Magic does a trial version and Nero appears
occasionally on PC mags, there is a copy on one of
them here in the UK so again check the shops where you
are there maybe a copy on one of them. (I am assuming
you don't live on the UK.)

The only reservation I would have is the fact you have
a new PC. Would partitioning the hard drive and
installing Linux invalidate the waranty? I would check
that out with who ever you got it from. I know it
usually hardware upgrade doen by yourself that can
sometimes invalidate your warranty, but my friends was
invalidated because she made her system a dual boot
Windows system. It is rarae but something to check on
first.

Jay