Re: newbie help.....again

Charles,

How much free disk space do you have to do the install on?  I usually
put windoze (if I have to have it) on about a 20G partition, then put
Fedora on afterwards.  Once you have Windows AND some free space for
Linux, the installer sees the drive and you can install it without
bothering the windoze partition.

I guess what I am saying is, if you have a 160 gig C drive and nothing
else, you are gonna want to resize that partition.  The smart way
would just be to do an install again and this time specify that you
are giving Windows 60 G and saving the other 100 for Linux or
something like that.  Alternatively you can look around for some other
partition resizing utlitity software, but that'll probably cost you
some bucks - unnecessary bucks at this point.  With a 2 day old
computer you shouldn't have too much data to worry about saving at
this point, so that's a good thing.

The best I can tell you to do would be to play around with the ways
you download and especially to get a bittorrent client so that nothing
will go wrong with the download.  Also there are windows based md5sum
utilities that you can use to scientifically verify that the
FC3<diskone>.iso image (or whatever) is the same as the image
available for download.  If the long string of digits is differrent,
then your downloads are a problem and you should continue to
troubleshoot from there (or download somewhere else such as at work).

You were correct in the assumption that Knoppix won't touch your hard
drive - provided you get a good burn on the .iso image.  However it
sounds like your burning is suspect.  There is a differrence between
the way you burn things - either as a .iso image, or as a file.  I
know that sounds like I am saying the same thing but when you have it
as a .iso on the cdrom you should be able to mount the cdrom (even in
windows), and go into subdirectories and see files.  If, on the other
hand, if you burn it incorrectly, when you put it into Windows for
example to see what is on it, everything will look like it is one big
file.

Once you are fairly certain that isn't the problem, then you can do
the install confident that the Fedora installer, anaconda, will
confirm you as you go as to what you want to do.  Pay attention to the
default partition setup and notice that it will leave your XP
partition alone.  All you need is some free space and some good solid
(known good) iso's to install from, and it will take care of the rest
for you.  Also, it is worth noting that in a dual boot scenario it is
imperative not to try loading Linux first - the windows installer
wants to take over the world, (ie blow away your linux)  as it
obviously tried to do with your hard drive.  160 G  C: drive?  Mama
mia!  :)   So the order is correct as you have it, windows first, then
linux.

HTH,
Marc