Re: Installation of Tar and development tree rpm packages

On Tue, 2005-01-25 at 15:07 -0500, David Curry wrote:
> Thanks, Paul.  I suspected that was the case.
>
> Thus far I have not been brave (foolhardy?) enough to try building RPMs
> from source.
>
> Recent exchanges on list, though, have provided enough info to prompt an
> attempt or two.
>
> I gather that the key is lies in assuring that the libraries application
> developers identify as needed to support an application release reside
> somewhere on my system and their location is defined for the rpm build.

The spec file for the development package will usually specify if a
specific version of a library is needed, and rpm will refuse to build
the package until that library's development files are present, at a
suitable release version. Sometimes though dependencies get missed, in
which case the build may fail later on, or worse, the package may build
but the application could break. This is quite rare in my experience
though.

Paul.
--
Paul Howarth <paul@xxxxxxxxxxxx>