Re: Installation of Tar and development tree rpm packages

On Tue, 25 Jan 2005 15:07:17 -0500, David Curry <dsccable@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Thanks, Paul.  I suspected that was the case.
>
> Thus far I have not been brave (foolhardy?) enough to try building RPMs
> from source.
>
> Recent exchanges on list, though, have provided enough info to prompt an
> attempt or two.
>
> I gather that the key is lies in assuring that the libraries application
> developers identify as needed to support an application release reside
> somewhere on my system and their location is defined for the rpm build.

I'm not an expert by far, but as you go through the installation
process you will get errors that will report what is missing or not
found.  By not found I mean that the default location the source is
attempting to use is not the location it is located at.

My first attempt was Snort and associated applications and it took me
3 days to muddle my way thorough.  I then wiped the system clean and
reinstalled everything to make sure I had it right.

It was a valuable learning experience.

--
Leonard Isham, CISSP
Ostendo non ostento.