Problems with Intel D915GAG board with 2 GB memory

I have a problem with a new computer here at work. It has a Intel
D915GAG mainboard with 2 GB memory on it, and an on-board video card.
All attempts to install the machine fialed at random moments, sometimes
anaconda just got stuck, sometimes it lost its network connection (doing
a nfs-based install) etc.
Then I removed 1 GB memory, and all went fine.
Putting back the 2nd 1GB module makes the system very slow, and it
crashes at some random point during the boot. Usually with a totally
messed up screen.

BTW: the memory checks out fine when tested, and switching the first and
2nd module makes no difference, while working with just one (either one
of them) it works fine.

Now my speculation is that this is due to the on-board video card taking
some memory out of the total ram, but somehow without the kernel
noticing it should not touch that part of memory.

Does that make any sense, or am I looking at a wrong suspect here? Any
known workarounds for this board?

Note that this board only has PCI-Express and PCI connectors, no AGP, and I
don't have a spare videocard to test if diabling the on-board video will
solve the problem.

David Jansen