Re: Is YUM superior to Synaptic ?? (was synaptic evolution)

Temlakos wrote:

Not a dumb question. no i have never tried anything other than synaptic. the reason is because early on a friend recommended it synaptic. he's the same guy that recomended FC3.

is yum superior to synaptic?

What is the group opinion on the best way to keep FC3 updated?

mike h

Advantages of apt and synaptic:

1. Shows you packages that are available, that you haven't already installed.

2.    Automatically resolves dependencies.

Does yum do these things?

And what is the name of yum's GUI front-end?

Temlakos

Yum's GUI front end (there are two AFAIK) is gyum (for gnome) and it includes a little nice applet too. Here's a link to it http://fedoranews.org/tchung/gyum/

Yum is neither superior nor better than apt. They are two programs that basically do the same, only differences, apt was ported from Debian and yum is a modified version of a RH clone distro (Yellow Dog) for PPC updater program (hence the name yum: Yellow dog Updater Modified). However apt is still a little bit alien to Fedora and RPM systems, and yum is more like a native application for the same purposes (IMO). Nevertheless in my experience, apt tends to brake things up more easiliy than yum (in part because it may install masked packages), most of the time due to dependency solving. I frankly use them both, but am a little more comfortable with yum due to my previous experience with apt and synaptic virtually trashing a system, but your mileage may vary.