Testing apps on dual booting machine.

Hello List ,
Currently I use FC-1 and also have a dual boot machine with win-XP.
My question :
I have not programmed  with Linux, but would like to. So if i create a
seperate *user* and download any linux application under development
to fiddle with, will it crash my dual boot or linux box ?
I had read a few articles/blogs about problems with
testing/programming on a dual booting FC and XP machine. I dont want
that problem :-) as i wouldnt know how to fix it.
This is my home PC - I use it for regular stuff (music, email,
browsing, office apps, other stuff...) and yet I want it to be
stable....
Any suggestions/info/ideas welcome..
thanks..MR