Re: PostgreSQL: "ERROR: relation "pg_catalog.pg_user" does not exist (was Re: Moving a PostgreSQL database from one server to another)

Rodolfo J. Paiz wrote:

Hi, everyone:

It appears that I have a deeper, darker problem at work here. After lots
of help from lots of users (thanks, everyone!), my pg_dump command just
does not work. No way, no how. My PostgreSQL server is also not logging
to /var/log/pgsql so I'm not getting any love there, either.

If I attempt the commands "\dp" or "\du" in psql, I get this:

ERROR:  relation "pg_catalog.pg_user" does not exist

I recommend joining postgresql-admin list. Guesses and questions:
- It seems that somehow you have goofed the database initialization but managed to get postmaster started and there is no working database cluster. Have you run initdb?
- What does psql -l tell you?
- Some of the file permissions are somehow wrong. Who owns database files and directories? Who do you run the postmaster as?
- What does your postgresql.conf under your database directory say about logging, if you have set it to log in syslog, then your log is probably there.
- You don't have just updated your binaries and pointed them to a database created with older postgresql, haven't you?
- You are out of disk space, completely.

Surely other commands will fail as well. I have also installed
phpPgAdmin (v.3.5.1) to attempt graphical management of the database,
and although I can log in I do not get the next screen... there has
clearly been an error, and it barfs with the same command: the relation
pg_catalog.pg_user does not exist.

Can anyone suggest where or how I might recreate this relation? I'm
about to go join some of the PostgreSQL mailing lists, but it seems odd
that only I would have this problem.

Shut down your existing database instance and create a new database cluster with initdb (as the postgres user) and see if you can run postmaster (as the postgres user) against it.

If you actually have made successful initdb with the compatible initdb version you are trying to run the postmaster with or/and you have valuable data in the cluster, do nothing to the existing database files before you consult postgresql-admin list.

Regards,