Re: Moving a PostgreSQL database from one server to another

On Thu, 2005-01-13 at 13:23 -0500, Scot L. Harris wrote:
> I think what you are looking for is the
>
> pg dump
>
> or
>
> pg dumpall
>
> commands.

Fantastic. After some more thrashing around, it seems those are commands
to be typed in at the BASH shell, not inside psql... that had me fooled
for a little while. But I eventually managed to find "pg_dump",
"pg_dumpall" and "pg_restore". Great, says I.

Nope. I've been through the pg_dump man page backwards and forwards and
have tried lots of iterations of the command. While the PostgreSQL
service is started, and I can access the database properly with psql,
pg_dump runs for less than one second and then exits. No error is given,
no output results, nothing.

This is FC3, everything is updated, and I've tried setting every useful
parameter I can think of, even setting host, user, and -W to force a
password prompt. Nada, zilch, zippo. No logs anywhere I can find,
either. /var/log/pgsql is entirely empty.

Since surely I'm not the first one to want a database backed up or
transferred to another server, anyone who got this working have any
suggestions?

Thanks,

--
Rodolfo J. Paiz <rpaiz@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>