Re: Disk Druid - Fedora flame #1

On Wed, Jan 19, 2005 at 05:13:45PM -0500, Gene Heskett wrote:

> With all due respect, thats bullshit. I will NEVER partition a drive
> and put /root as a subdir on /.

You mean there are Linux distributions that let you place /root
on a different drive than / ?
How does root get to his home account if only / succeds mount
on boot-up ?

Are you sure you're not confusing /root and /home/foobar where
foobar is the account of your regular user ?

>                                 I don't have such an arrangment in
> place on any linux install I have, won't tolerate it.  Its senseless
> to put your most private business as nothing more secure than a
> directory on /.  End of discussion IMNSHO.  What I do as root, is not
> any of the semi-public /'s business, none nada zip.

I hate to break this to you but all directories are "a directory on /",
to some extent. Whether /root is on the same partition as / or not
is not going to change the directory's permissions from 0700 one bit.

> So how do I proceed?

Use a regular user for your regular activity.
Only use root (and his directory) for system maintenance.

> /dev/hdb3= primary /root = 4GB But %$#@*& DD won't let me name it
> '/root', I'm gonna have to do it by hand.

No, you shouldn't. This is a horrible security risk.
Set this to be /home, instead.

Emmanuel