Re: Disk Druid - Fedora flame #1

On Wed, Jan 19, 2005 at 05:13:45PM -0500, Gene Heskett wrote:
> With all due respect, thats bullshit. I will NEVER partition a drive
> and put /root as a subdir on /.  I don't have such an arrangment in
> place on any linux install I have, won't tolerate it.  Its senseless
> to put your most private business as nothing more secure than a
> directory on /.  End of discussion IMNSHO.  What I do as root, is not
> any of the semi-public /'s business, none nada zip.

It must be on / because root needs to have a home directory even if your
other partitions don't mount. It's the same deal as /etc, /bin, and /sbin.

It still has permissions of 750 (root:root), and so, although it's generally
bad practice to be running as root and storing 'private business' there,
it's still just as protected as it would be on another partition.

Other Unixes -- Solaris, say -- typically just have "/" as root's home
directory. RH is going a step more secure and making it a subdirectory --
but you *really* don't want it to be a separate partition.

> So how do I proceed?

This is anaconda preventing you from shooting yourself in the foot. You can
argue all you want that you should be *allowed* to shoot yourself in the
foot, but I don't think it'd be very productive.

--
Matthew Miller           mattdm@xxxxxxxxxx        <http://www.mattdm.org/>