Re: Disk Druid - Fedora flame #1

On Wednesday 19 January 2005 13:54, Les Mikesell wrote:
>On Wed, 2005-01-19 at 11:19, Craig White wrote:
>> ---
>>
>> > and 2) what it does show you is to be carved in stone, not
>> > re-arranged willy-nilly after you've clicked on the next button.
>>
>> ---
>> it doesn't
>> ---
>
>No, he's right on this one.  Try creating a layout with /boot first,
>then /, then swap, then /home where DD creates all the partitions.
>Every time I've tried without fdisk'ing the partitions first, DD
>re-arranges the layout into some other order.  That is especially
>stupid in the case where you try to make an identical layout on
>the next drive and RAID1 mirror the partitions, then DD moves them
>so they end up paired with something on the same drive.  FC3 has
>some new options for mirrors so it may not be as difficult as
> before, but we still need some way to nail down a layout in DD that
> will be repeatable in the resulting kickstart file.

And I'm down there working on it right now, having put a used 46GB WD
drive in as /dev/hdb, and the first real problem is that DD will not
allow me to make a /root partition, claiming it must be a directory
on /.

With all due respect, thats bullshit. I will NEVER partition a drive
and put /root as a subdir on /.  I don't have such an arrangment in
place on any linux install I have, won't tolerate it.  Its senseless
to put your most private business as nothing more secure than a
directory on /.  End of discussion IMNSHO.  What I do as root, is not
any of the semi-public /'s business, none nada zip.

So how do I proceed?

As it exists right now, and I'm waiting for some learned answers:

/dev/hdb1= primary /boot = 100M
/dev/hdb2= primary /dos  = 50M
/dev/hdb3= primary /root = 4GB But %$#@*& DD won't let me name it
'/root', I'm gonna have to do it by hand.
/dev/hdb4= extended, remainder of a 46GB disk
/dev/hdb5= extended /home = 4GB
/dev/hdb6= extended /swap = 1GB
/dev/hdb7= extended /var  = 3GB
/dev/hdb8= extended / rest of disk, about 33GB

/dev/hda is hopefully not to be touched, this is a new install.

FWIW, this time on the final release of FC3, I can get a shell with
ctl+alt+F2, so that at least is working now.  So I'm going to use
that shell to format, install journalling, and label those
partitions, and then see if I can get around DD and actually continue
a fresh install on this disk.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)