Re: Why is LANG set to en_US.UTF-8?

Chris Adams wrote:
Once upon a time, Aleksandar Milivojevic <amilivojevic@xxxxxx> said:

Usually I have it set to just "C" (default POSIX locale). I hate when ls intermix dot files with "normal" files in ls -a output, and don't like lower/upercase being ignored when sorting either. Setting LANG to C solves both problems :-)

Since all you are complaining about here is ordering (not charset or
language issues), you should just change the ordering.  LC_COLLATE=C
works just fine while keeping all the magic goodness that is
en_US.UTF-8.

I can't say that I noticed any difference (other than ordering in ls output) between C and en_US.UTF-8. Russian and Chinesee spam is displayed properly this way or the other.

--
Aleksandar Milivojevic <amilivojevic@xxxxxx>    Pollard Banknote Limited