Re: NVIDIA driver *taints* kernel???

On Tue, Jan 18, 2005 at 02:46:09PM -0500, Steven Pasternak wrote:

> I use fedora 3 on an athlon xp and an nvidia geforce fx 5200. I go
> to install the Nvidia driver version 1.0-6629 and during the
> installation at the end it says that the license 'Nvidia' taints the
> kernel, but it still continues and seems to work.
> to boot runlevel 3 and recompile the module again. Any advise?

The code that the module you compile links to is not open source.
As such it correctly flags the kernel as 'tainted'.

The part you compile is a wrapper and dispatcher that stitches the
card functions and lib functions together for a complete GL package.

This is not in and of itself a problem.

If the code has a bug and nVidia never fixes it then
you cannot fix it yourself.  Yes, that could be a problem,
except that nVidia has been good about making things work.

There are two drivers nv and nvidia.  One is opensource
the other is not.  If the closed source fails, load the other.
While your 3D acceleration tanks  your are not dead
in the water.

This 'tainted' thing is important.  You CAN develop code that you have
full and complete ownership and control over without giving away your
invention.  It may be that many of us will not be in love with you
but a well supported quality product (hardware or software) will
have a market and value.

So far the folks at nVidia have been good at supporting their cards
for me.  As a result, they are in my good guy camp list and I am
happy to use their cards.

There are other display card vendors out there.
Do some homework and vote with your pocket book.

--
	T o m  M i t c h e l l
	spam unwanted email.