Re: NVIDIA driver *taints* kernel???

On Tue, Jan 18, 2005 at 02:46:09PM -0500, Steven Pasternak wrote:
> I use fedora 3 on an athlon xp and an nvidia geforce fx 5200. I go to install
> the Nvidia driver version 1.0-6629 and during the installation at the end it
> says that the license 'Nvidia' taints the kernel, but it still continues and
> seems to work. If I boot in runlevel 5, though, it gets to the part where it
> starts X (right at the beginning) and X doesn't start - It freezes. I
> uninstall the driver and use the 'nv' driver and it works. I have to compile
> the kernel module because it can't find one at the nvidia site. When I'm in
> runlevel 3 I can run the accelerated graphics until I shut down, then I have
> to boot runlevel 3 and recompile the module again. Any advise?
> -Steven
Just to check:
1. You install the drivers at run level 3?
2. The tainting the kernel is a warning message that can be ignored as
is the message about rivafb.
3. I have never had the script find a driver, it always has to compile
one.
4. I am confused. The driver module should end up where the other
video drivers are , like the nv driver. Is it there? If so how can a
reboot remove it? You ar leaving something out in your expalnation of
what you are doing.

A man is known by the company he organizes.
		-- Ambrose Bierce
Aaron Konstam
Computer Science
Trinity University