Re: AW: Problem with PCMCIA Network Card

I have a problem getting an Netgear WG511 recognized by the system. I had this problem with FC2 and have it still after i installed FC3 FC3 found the PCMCIA Card and installed the prism54 drivers and tries to start them during the boot. For me it looks like a problem on the PCMCIA/hotplug side

Netgear WG511 comes in three versions, alas. The latest version, version 3 (made in China) doesn't work with the Prism54 drivers (despite the kernel/modprobe loading the drivers fine). This is because version 3 is a softmac wireless card. Looking at prism54.org devel lists, it looks like softmacs won't ever be supported, since the hardware specs are not available.

If it's a new card, I'd take it back to the shop and try and exchange it for a version 1 (or possibly 2 - some of these work, some don't).

Worst case scenario, you should be able to get it working with ndiswrapper, but try using the latest version (1.0rc3), not the old 0.12 you seem to have tried. Unless the card is faulty.

It's a crappy situation, but non-softmac 11g cards are becoming rarer by the day. You could always pick up a 11b card, many of which have OS drivers available.

HTH
Jonathan