Re: NVIDIA driver *taints* kernel???

On Tue, 18 Jan 2005 21:37:42 -0500, Sam Varshavchik
<mrsam@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Michael Cobb writes:
> > Steven,
> >
> > I have the same problem on a Opteron based FC-2 box with an Nvidia FX-500
> > card. I set runlevel 3, execute startx, and look at a blank screen. I have
> > been working on this problem for 2 weeks. So far no love from fedora!
>
> Good luck getting NVidia working on an Opteron.  Their closed source driver
> is 32-bit only.  It won't be easy to shoehorn it into a 64bit kernel.  Even
> if it's possible at all.

Whoa!  This is false.  I have an Athlon 64 and nVidia's drivers work
just fine.  Please get your facts right before posting.

> There are many graphics cards with reliable, open source, native x.org
> drivers.  I suggest that you pick one, and support the vendors that support
> open source.

Well, the only *real* graphics cards (ie with 3D acceleration) out
there are the ones made by nVidia and ATi (that I've heard of, at
least; perhaps there are some more obscure professional graphics
cards, but not mainstream).  If you want performance, you will have to
go with one of those.  Presently, nVidia has the better Linux support
of the two.  They at least officially support Linux, even if the
drivers are closed-source.  There are many hardware manufacturers that
don't even acknowledge Linux.  And if you cannot stand having
something that is closed source on your system, there is the
open-source "nv" driver that works for all but the newest cards (last
I heard).

Jonathan