Re: NVIDIA driver *taints* kernel???

Michael Cobb writes:

Steven,

I have the same problem on a Opteron based FC-2 box with an Nvidia FX-500
card. I set runlevel 3, execute startx, and look at a blank screen. I have
been working on this problem for 2 weeks. So far no love from fedora!

Good luck getting NVidia working on an Opteron. Their closed source driver is 32-bit only. It won't be easy to shoehorn it into a 64bit kernel. Even if it's possible at all.

There are many graphics cards with reliable, open source, native x.org drivers. I suggest that you pick one, and support the vendors that support open source.