Re: USB storage device locks up FC3

On Mon, 17 Jan 2005 21:32:36 -0500, Deron Meranda
<deron.meranda@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Mon, 17 Jan 2005 20:52:35 -0500, B Wooster <bwooster47@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > I booted into "init 3", and got a shell, and plugged in the device -
> > also tried my camera, Canon SD 100.
> > Only a power cycle gets me out of the mode.
>
> So your kernel runs fine with the USB drivers, up until you plug
> in a USB device?  I'm trying to verify that you can boot your kernel
> Are you by chance using a USB mouse or keyboard?
> Is your USB bus provided by your motherboard, or an add-in card?
> What's the model, and/or the BIOS version.
> Deron Meranda

Problem fixed - I upgraded the BIOS, and now the 2.6.10 kernel works!

And yes, before the BIOS upgrade, I could do a lsusb, and see the three
buses (001, 002, 003), and the system would freeze solidly as soon
as I plugged in the camera.
Scary thing was that there was no kernel panic message, etc.
Thank goodness the BIOS upgrade worked - I am using ASROCK motherboard,
was BIOS 1.4 (2003), is now BIOS 2.6, in case anyone else runs into the problem.