Re: USB storage device locks up FC3

B Wooster wrote:
> On Slackware, Kernel 2.4.x, this worked - I could connect a USB storage
> device that held a SD memory card. I could mount it, copy files, move
> files, etc.
>
> Under the latest Fedora FC3 release, as soon as I connect this device,
> the whole computer locks up. Can't do anything, expect power cycle.
> Looked at all the logs (messages, boot.log) after the power cycle, see
> nothing related to the lock up.
>
> uname -a:
> 2.6.9-1.667 #1 Tue Nov 2 14:41:25 EST 2004 i686 athlon i386 GNU/Linux
>
> Anyone have any ideas I could try to at least capture some info on why
> it is locking up, if not any ideas on how to fix the problem?

Are you in graphics mode at the time?

Have you tried using Ctrl+Alt+F1 to switch to a text terminal, then
plugging in the USB device?

I suspect you're getting a kernel panic. In such cases Linux *won't*
write to disk (it's no longer sure that kernel memory is in a sane
state, so it isn't sure that the disk routines won't write Rhapsody in
Blue over the partition table).

The Linux kernel will write kernel panic data onto a text terminal. But
it doesn't know how to do this if the console is in graphics mode.

You can use Shift+Page UP and Shift+Page Down to scroll through the
kernel panic data. Take a photo of it, or write it down.

If you do get a kernel panic, please bugzilla it, and include the data
you copied from the screen. (Use http://bugzilla.redhat.com). Then the
appropriate developers should get to see it.

Hope this helps,

James.
--
E-mail address: james | "I blame the teachers, and I blame the politicians
@westexe.demon.co.uk  | for picking the teachers, and I blame the parents