building kernel rpm from src.rpm

Hi,

I can build a custom kernel from a kernel src.rpm by following the steps at:

     http://crab-lab.zool.ohiou.edu/kevin/kernel-compilation-tutorial-en/

However, if I modify the kernel .config file to have a non-empty LOCALVERSION string,
when I later boot with the new kernel, then the modules can't be located because
the new kernel's version (uname -r) contains the LOCALVERSION string but the modules are
stored in /lib/modules/2.6.10-XXX *without* the LOCALVERSION string.

Should I be using LOCALVERSION to identify the kernel as custom, or should I just stick
to modifying the release field in the spec file as suggested there (it's more intuitive how to
modify LOCALVERSION) ? Any ideas what's causing this problem?

Thanks for any advice.