Thunderbird new mail sound

Hi,

Has anyone had problems with TB new mail sound? I just can't get it to work. I'm using KDE, and sound works great for most things. I've tried adjusting the new mail sound in Gnome and then switch back to KDE, but it didn't work. I also tried setting different sounds through TB Tools --> Options --> General --> "when new mail arrives" to different custom sounds, but none worked. So, in summary, I can't get TB to play any sounds at all!

A possibly related problem is that I can't get any sound from xmms either. It seems to be playing, the progress bar moves as if playing, the display bars jump up-and-down normally, but no sound.

Does anybody has any suggestions? (please let me know what extra information might be helpful.)
I'm using:
FC3,
kernel 2.6.10-1.741_FC3smp,
KDE.