Re: message GRUB - no boot. Help

On Tuesday 18 Jan 2005 14:08, Francois Massonneau wrote:

> Yes, I can boot using the first FC3 install disk, in rescue mode. No
> problem, I can browse the partitions.
> But I don't know how to repair or reinstall Grub or if there is something
> else to do to make it to work again.
> Help would be appreciated ;-)
> Francois
When the rescue disk runs, it finds your current installation and mounts it
under /mnt/sysimage

type
#chroot /mnt/sysimage
then
#grub-install /dev/sda1
(assuming your master drive is the first SCSI drive)(run fdisk -l first to
check what drives can be seen.  Check the contents of /etc/grub.conf to see
if that gives you the clues.)

However, this assumes that all that has happened is that the boot record has
somehow been corrupted.  I'm not to certain this is the problem.  However, I
don't *think* you can do too much damage here, since the command would
normally just write a new boot record to the boot disk.  The worst that can
happen is your grub.conf wouldn't match with your current partitions.

Others may correct me here. <grin>
--
Tony Dietrich