Re: Why does dovecot require mysql?

On Mon, 2005-01-17 at 13:48, Scot L. Harris wrote:

> > I will install/upgrade these to satisfy the dependencies:
> > [deps: perl-DBD-MySQL 2.9003-4.i386]
> > [deps: mysql 3.23.58-9.1.i386]
> > Is this ok [y/N]: n
> >
> > What happens if I answer yes?
>
> Well depending on where your mysql 4.x packages are installed you may
> end up stepping all over it and breaking things.
>
> Did you install mysql from source or rpm?

Rpm - I removed everything related to the stock mysql first.

> Based on the discussion in bugzilla it looks like if you hold off for
> awhile they may fix this issue.

Thanks.  I could just remove dovecot on this box, but I'd like to
see how this plays out.  I thought there was some kind of
backwards compatibility package for mysql 4.x too, but I'm
not sure how it works or whether it satisfies all the rpm
dependencies.   Maybe it's time to convert to postgresql...

--
  Les Mikesell
   les@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx