Re: Why does dovecot require mysql?

On Mon, 2005-01-17 at 15:32, Les Mikesell wrote:

> > Based on the discussion in bugzilla it looks like if you hold off for
> > awhile they may fix this issue.
>
> Thanks.  I could just remove dovecot on this box, but I'd like to
> see how this plays out.  I thought there was some kind of
> backwards compatibility package for mysql 4.x too, but I'm
> not sure how it works or whether it satisfies all the rpm
> dependencies.   Maybe it's time to convert to postgresql...

Not sure about a backwards compatibility package.

Switching to postgresql may be extreme.  And in this case would solve
the problem only if you were using the one packaged for FC2 which
probably would be the case.  Personally I like postgresql better than
mysql but switching over for this reason alone is to extreme.

Hopefully they will fix the packages to remove the dependency soon in
FC2.  FC3 will have the dependency but hopefully it will be corrected to
just the client library like it was intended.  FC4 and beyond they
should split out the requirements in alternate packages kind of like PHP
does.

--
Scot L. Harris
webid@xxxxxxxxxx

All men know the utility of useful things;
but they do not know the utility of futility.
		-- Chuang-tzu