how to mount initrd image?

Hi,

Sorry if this is old ground, but I couldn't seem to find an answer searching this or other lists and web sources.

How do you mount an /boot/initrd.img image in FC3?

I used to do something like:

cd ~
mkdir temp
cd temp
mkdir initrd
gunzip < /boot/initrd-version.img > initrdtest.img
mount -o loop initrdtest.img initrd
cd initrd
ls
(etc., view initrd file system)

This always worked for me before in FC2 or RHEL, for example, and is in many instructions on the web.

Any instructions, references, or insight much appreciated.

Thanks