Re: Why do I need mDNSResponder/howl?

Paul Howarth wrote:

On Thu, 2005-01-13 at 13:50 -0800, Dave wrote:

Yet another one. I thought only microsoft installed network services willy-nilly without any regard for whether they're needed.

'Howl is a cross-platform port of Apple's "Rendezvous" (multicast DNS)
service discovery and IP autoconfiguration.'

So ... when was I asked if I even needed/wanted this? How many people actually use it? Why does it default to being activated?

Because for some people it will make their network work automagically, saving them the bother of configuring it? Isn't plug-and-play what most people want?

Paul.

It took me two days to figure out why my firewall began broadcasting packets so fast that the network came to a halt, EVERY time I rebooted my new linux server. mDNSResponder was the problem. My network was ALREADY set up with DNS, DHCP, etc. Everything was ALREADY automatic. In fact, the new fedora box WAS the DHCP and DNS server. It had a fixed IP. Why was it running mDNSResponder? For me, this wasn't "plug & play". It was "What the @^%#@! is going on with the router! It can't be the Fedora server, because Fedora distributions have never caused problems!"

I know you've already heard back on this one, and replied. So this isn't directed at you. I just had to add my two cents, for whoever thought it was a good idea to put in some odd protocol I've never heard of that screws up my entire home network. It nailed me again recently when I put Fedora on my laptop. :-(

I hope it's gone in FC4.