Re: Why do I need mDNSResponder/howl?

Quoting Randy <toucan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 14 Jan 2005 19:04:49

> I hope it's gone in FC4.

It probably won't be gone in FC4, however I hope that it will be possible to
deinstall it.  In FC3, there is so much stuff that directly or indirectly
depends on howl package, that it should really be considered as bug (and filed
on bugzilla).  I've just run "yum remove howl" on my newly installed laptop, and
among other things that would need to be removed to satisfy dependencies are
gnome-panel, openoffice, firefox, thunderbird, gimp, and list is still
growing...  It's almost impossible to cleanly remove from desktop system
(without forcing, and braking dependencies).  Most of those packages are
probably tied to the fact that gnome-vfs2 depends on howl-libs (a dependency
that I hope will be removed in updated gnome-vfs2 package for FC3, and not
present in FC4 at all).

--
Aleksandar Milivojevic <amilivojevic@xxxxxx>    Pollard Banknote Limited