No permission to run glxgears under nvidia

I installed the nvidia-6629 driver for x86_64 on a amd64 pc today
using the nvidia installer and put the /dev/nvidia* devices in
/etc/udev/devices/ correctly.

X starts up fine and everything is OK but when I try to run glxgears
I get the well known message:

 Error: Could not open /dev/nvidiactl because the permissions
 are too resticitive.  Please see the FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
 section of /usr/share/doc/NVIDIA_GLX-1.0/README for steps
 to correct.

Is the 'solution' suggested in the FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS section
of the nvidia README still relevant in the udev era.
(namely: remove line from /etc/security/console.perms starting with <dri>).

Shouldn't this problem be resolved by 'chowning' /etc/udev/devices/nvidia*
to root:group and adding the user to this group, and maybe changing
some permissions too.

Or does this entail some other changes elsewhere when using udev.

Alexander