Re: Why do I need mDNSResponder/howl?

>From: "Rodolfo J. Paiz" <rpaiz@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>On Fri, 2005-01-14 at 10:46 -0500, David Cary Hart wrote:
>> This is a spectacular waste of bandwidth. Cannot we assume that EVERYONE
>> reconfigures services after install? Don't want it on your hard drive? -
>> "rpm -e".

I could not possibly agree more.

>More and more things are getting installed as time goes on

I guess my question at this point would be:  how does it happen
that more and more things are getting installed as time goes on?

I'm assuming you mean that for a given configuration, (desktop,
workstation, server) there are more bits and bytes in FC3 than FC2 and
prior RH releases - which is absolutely true.

It seems to me that if you're getting more stuff installed with a given
config than you want, what you really need to do is use the customized
config where you can pick and choose the bits and bytes you want.

If you really want a bare bones system, you can pick minimal from way
at the bottom of customized on FC3 and I'll bet you don't get a lot of the
stuff like pcmcia-cs and mDNSResponder/howl .  Then add just the exact
additional packages you want to the minimal config.

I guess I don't understand how you expect the Fedora developers to cater
more than they already do to what every individual does or doesn't want
on their machine .  The installer gives you options ranging from minimal
to everything as well asdesktop, workstation and server configs - pick
one and customize it if you like.  But if you choose the everything config
and you get some stuff you don't want, how is that anyone's problem but
your own?

Finally, I guess if you really think this is something that needs fixing, you
ought to get to work fixing it.  Personally, I'm fine with the paradigm of
going with a Fedora-provided config then dropping/adding packages
from/to that config.

Erich