Re: writeprotection of unmounted mountpoints automaitcally - possible??

Michael A. Peters wrote:

On 01/14/2005 12:30:29 AM, Alexander Raab wrote:

Hi, all.
Is there a possibility to set the permissons of ummounted mountpoints to writeprotected?
I am coping files very often without checking if a usb-drive is really mounted.

In fc3 the mounting of the drive should be handled by hal, in which case the mount point would be created when needed, and otherwise give you a "directory don't exist, dude" type of error.

In fc1/2 (and with 3) you can do a similar things using autofs.

I'm not *positive* that hal removes the /media mountpoint when the drive is unmounted, it doesn't with cd/dvd - but it should then still give you a permission denied error.

I'm using FC3 and I can write to cd, dvd, floppy & usb mountpoints that are existing but not mounted. KDE checks the mountpoint definied in fstab and mtab.
So if I poweron the usb-harddisk a new mountpoint is created, but not automatically mounted.
Sometimes I forget that I've umounted the drive again, but still powered and so I copy my files again into local harddisk and today "/" has 3GB more then normally.

Alex