Re: THe weird occurrance of the day.

On Thursday 13 Jan 2005 21:59, Mostafa Z. Afgani wrote:
> akonstam@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> | This is just in case you think computers are sane and their actions
> | reproducible.
> |
> | Today I opened an XDMCP session from a FC2 machine to a RH9 machine.
> | When I logged in as myself the gnome system reported I did not have a
> | proper panel so it was going to give me one. It gave me a FC3 panel on
> | the top of the screen, complete with a footprint, Applications and
> | Actions icons. Does someone want to explain that action? Is the
> | operating systems involved prescient and knew that FC3 is going to be
> | produced so it thought it would give me a taste of the future?
>
> I believe the top of the screen panel is a GNOME default ;) Has nothing
> to do with anticipating the future .. :P
>
> -M

Doesn't XDMCP used X functions from the local machine to render the remote
screen?  And doesn't Gnome bind quite close to X?  Is your system pulling the
screen elements from the local machine to render your desktop after
interpreting the Desktop folder on the remote system?
(Just the chaotic meanderings of a tired man).
--
Tony Dietrich