Re: How to improve performance? (starter)

On Thu, 2005-01-13 at 18:38 -0300, Alexandre Vernille wrote:
> I would like to adopt Fedora2 / 3 as my preffered OS at home. However
> I need first to improve its performance on my machine (an AMD K6_2
> with 128 MB RAM).
>
> Mozilla is taking 20 sec to load, OpenOffice applications even longer.
> On the System Monitor, it looks like the RAM is too busy...
>
> Any hints or sites where I could find the basics on improving
> performance? Should I try another Linux?
>
> TKS, A

With a K6-2 you are basically running a (by todays standards) very slow
machine, and also using the minimum recommended memory for the FC3
distro.  The K6-2 was produced about (IIRC) 6 years ago and I never saw
one that was faster than 450 - 500 Mhz.  Today I cannot find a new
processor that is less than about 1400 Mhz, and the average in a new PC
appears to be about 2500 Mhz or more.

I would recommend a simple upgrade to a newer & faster processor with
more memory as a minimum.

Barring the processor update, at least add additional memory to speed
thing up a little.