Re: smp kernel bash script

Alexander Dalloz wrote:
> I now understand Chadley's reformulated question this way: given you
> have an SMP (i.e. dual CPU) system but you boot a single CPU kernel (for
> whatever reason) - will then in /proc/stat appear cpu, cpu0 _and_ cpu1
> or just cpu and cpu0?
> Paul had the same insecurity when he suggested to check whether
> /proc/cpuinfo contains a "processor : 1" entry in such a case.
>
> As I don't have a system where I can check this actually, someone with
> ability to look at should answer.

I do (an aging Abit BP6 with dual Celeron 433s).

[james@howells proc]$ grep cpu stat
cpu  8638 486 3637 29070 4949 115 0
cpu0 8638 486 3637 29070 4949 115 0
[james@howells proc]$ grep processor cpuinfo
processor       : 0
[james@howells proc]$ ls /sys/devices/system/cpu/
cpu0

At a quick glance, I can't see any way of spotting that this is a SMP
system.

However, SMP kernels should run perfectly well on single processor
systems: is there any chance, Chadley, that you can run your script
under a kernel compiled for SMP?

James.
--
E-mail address: james | "It was rare to catch His Holiness at the moment of
@westexe.demon.co.uk  | transformation into the Infallible Hulk."