smp kernel bash script

Greetings,

I have a question that I have no Idea how to google for!
I have done this so far.
When you install Fedora 2 or 3 it detects which CPU and then loads either the
smp or normal kernel for you. when it loads the smp it stills give the normal
as an option in grub.
My script simply says something like this ( IIRC don't have it with me! ) :

uname -a |grep smp
if [$? -eq 0 ] then
rpm -ivh kernel-smp.*.rpm
rpm -ivh kernel-smp.*.src

you get the picture I hope ;)

Today my script bites the dust as it installed a std kernel when it should
have installed the smp.
I can easily fix this. Thats not the issue.

How can check if the cpu is an smp and add some test to my script. This way
even if the Fedora gets it wrong my script will fix it when applying all my
atches and upgrading the kernels.
I don't have an smp CPU around right now either to find out myself. And since
I have a celeron and a DOTHAN CPU I can't see what the differences are
between the chips outputs and hence can't write the script.

Unless I am really in the dark and have not a clue, could some one here shed
some light please.

TIA

--
Chadley Wilson